Re: [OM] Underwhelmed by the E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Underwhelmed by the E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:36:13 -0700
I've made wonderful 8x10 prints from 2.1mp images cropped to maybe 75-80 0.000000rom my now 'obsolete' Can*n S110. That shouldn't be true based on all the film vs. digital calculations, but it is. On that basis, the E-1 should be good for something over 11x17. I also know from tests that the relationship between pixel count and resolution of detail is not exact. Oly promises "greater detail" from the FT-CCD sensor and better overall imaging from the lenses specifically designed for the sensor type.

It seems likely to me that the E-1 will be competitive with film in prints up to something like 15x20. I'm speaking visual impact to a viewer at normal viewing distance, not lab measurements.

Moose

Chuck Norcutt wrote:

Tom,
I believe you have both an E-20 and 4000 dpi scanner. Have you ever compared the E-20's 5MP image against an OM shooting the same image on film and scanned at 4000 dpi.

I agree with you about the E-1's price being too high but it does have some interesting technology in the body. My concern was the 5MP image. It just doesn't seem enough to challenge film. Am I right or wrong? Anybody else want to comment specifically on resolution?