[OM] Re: Oly E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Oly E-1
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:21:36 -0700
>From: "C.H.Ling-Accura" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: [OM] Re: Oly E-1
>
>May not be the 1Ds, but some pro are using 11MP RGB professional digial back
>(cropped 35mmx35mm CCD) to replace their 4x5 system.

I understand why a pro would replace 4x5 film with a scanning back for ECONOMIC
reasons, but the scanning back still doesn't contain as much information as the
4x5 film would -- THAT was my argument!

>The LFs will end very
>soon, even it has better resolution but it can't beat the flexability and
>speed of digital system.

It will "end" the same way 20-year-old OM cameras "ended" -- with a significant
niche market that recognizes it as superior, even as the production-oriented
commercial world leaves it behind.

And they said photography would put an end to painting, too!

>Quality? certainly very close. 500MP of info, I
>doubt most of them are film grain.

Velvia can support over 5,400 samples per inch without showing grain. I'm doing
500 MP drum scans (1.47 GB) where I could literally resolve features on a car
that was five miles away, which was not even visible to the human eye at the
time (90mm Schnieder Super-Angulon). This is not possible with a 12 MP
35mm-digital hybrid OR an 11 MP scanning back!

Someday, certainly, but not today. Price-performance parity between digital and
4"x5" is still nearly a decade away, and performance-at-any-cost parity is
still 5-6 years out.

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.