Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Oly E-1
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:03:43 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan Steinman" <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >May not be the 1Ds, but some pro are using 11MP RGB professional digial
back
> >(cropped 35mmx35mm CCD) to replace their 4x5 system.
>
> I understand why a pro would replace 4x5 film with a scanning back for
ECONOMIC reasons, but the scanning back still doesn't contain as much
information as the 4x5 film would -- THAT was my argument!

I understand 4x5 is still better but enough is enough, people is viewing the
whole picture not examine it part by part.

> >The LFs will end very
> >soon, even it has better resolution but it can't beat the flexability and
> >speed of digital system.
>
> It will "end" the same way 20-year-old OM cameras "ended" -- with a
significant niche market that recognizes it as superior, even as the
production-oriented commercial world leaves it behind.

> And they said photography would put an end to painting, too!

Who? I don't belive it was came from any respectable or sensible personal,
painting is an art it will never be replaced. But true is 99.90f people is
now using camera instead of painting to capture image. So you will be the
one still using film 20 years later, right? Film will soon like painting,
only very few people will be using and can afford it.

> >Quality? certainly very close. 500MP of info, I
> >doubt most of them are film grain.
>
> Velvia can support over 5,400 samples per inch without showing grain. I'm
doing 500 MP drum scans (1.47 GB) where I could literally resolve features
on a car that was five miles away, which was not even visible to the human
eye at the time (90mm Schnieder Super-Angulon). This is not possible with a
12 MP 35mm-digital hybrid OR an 11 MP scanning back!

Don't tell me how many sample per inch you can capture with your drum
scanner, it is no meaning. Even 4000dpi is already captured over 900f
image details, I have examined a Velvia slide with microscope and 4000dpi
scanner I don't see there is really any more details captured but only
grain. You think a 4x5 system can perform better than a 35mm system in
resolution (on same film area)?

> Someday, certainly, but not today. Price-performance parity between
digital and 4"x5" is still nearly a decade away, and performance-at-any-cost
parity is still 5-6 years out.

The pros are turning to digital, it is no meaning for how good a system is
when no one is using it.

C.H.Ling