[OM] Re: OT - Flatbed scanner for MF film

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Flatbed scanner for MF film
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 12:58:11 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
>
>Does anyone out their in Zuikoland, have any experience/recommendations on
>good flatbed scanner that will also do a decent scan on MF film?

Well, you need to better define "decent" and give us a budget to work with.

I think the $15,000 Topaz does a fine job on most stuff, but for me,
"decent" means a drum scanner. :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email

I've had my Epson 3200 less than a week now, and I'm sure I still have a
lot to learn.  But if it's any help making a decision, just for you :-)
I?ve posted on my budding web site the very first scan I made from a 6x7cm
Provia tranny, which is a photo of something from your neck of the woods.
It's the third one down, and it is, of course, greatly reduced from the
original size of 8800x6800 pixels and 178MB to a relatively minuscule 293KB
JPEG file.

http://home.att.net/~rockytopwayman/wsb/html/view.cgi-photos.html-.html

Between the original scan, which was slightly off kilter, and this puny
reduction, no changes have been made, no sharpening, tweaking or enhancing
of any kind.  I'm well pleased with the detail I'm getting in 3200 dpi
scans.  It just doesn't really show in this version. Whether this will aid
you in making a decision, I have no idea, but I judge this to be a "decent"
scanner at a "reasonable" price, although I doubt Jan would be excited
about getting an invitation over to see how it works.  ;-)

Walt