[OM] E-1 initial thoughts and Image Browsers...

Subject: [OM] E-1 initial thoughts and Image Browsers...
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 10:38:07 -0700 (PDT)
I am sure the E-1 will produce great quality images. Certainly the striking
work I've seen from E-10's and E-20's will bear witness to what Oly can do with
with digitals.

My concerns, like Tom Scales, are the pricing for the body as well as the
system...at $2200 it is way too expensive for a 5 megapixel camera. Also, the
cost of the 300 is ridiculous. But look at the cost of the accessories as
well...the 1.4X, the flash and the Battery grip (???) *all* cost about $549.
??? Way, way outta line with the competiton. You can by equivalent C*n*n
equipment for $279, $349, and $195, respectively, on average, *half* the cost
of the Oly accessories. And a new IS 300/2.8 is *half* the cost of the Zuiko
300/2.8.

Regarding image browsers....I find the Photoshop browser to be agonizingly slow
compared to IView Media Pro. For those that don't like the conversion on Iview
media, try Photo Mechanic.
For any working pro journalists using Macs, this is the de facto standard for
image browsers. For those of you with PC's, I really like BreezeBrowswer, which
is $35 shareware, and is very fast. Also does excellent RAW conversion, as well.

Last but not least...last week at the CART race at Laguna Seca, I let Mike
Veglia use my D60 and C*n*n lenses for two days...
he was very impressed with the image quality from the D60, the ratio of
"keepers", and quality of the C*n*n glass. He had been discussing waiting for
the 4/3 system, but last week went over to the dark side, and bought a C*n*n
10D and a C*n*n 70-200/2.8. He shot some beautiful stuff with it at the NASCAR
race last weekend. I think he's pretty happy with the gear...

Interested list members can check out Mike's first 10D images  here:

http://motorsportvisions.com/iwc03/index.htm

-Stephen Scharf.