Re: [OM] E1 Sample pictures!!!

Subject: Re: [OM] E1 Sample pictures!!!
From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 23:58:41 +0200
At 21:23 25.06.2003, Moose wrote:
The E-1 includes dark frame noise reduction. It takes one exposure of the subject and then an equal length exposure of a dark frame to get the info for the noise reduction algorithm.

As should every modern DC, as a minimum. It's a crude but effective method to reduce a certain type of noise - if you can afford to wait for a second shot. It has also been done semi-manually with dedicated software in astrophotography, years before consumer DCs. Several DCs have now done away with dark frames and instead rely on on-the-fly signal processing. My initial guess would be that they take advantage of the fact that diffraction spots are larger than a single pixel, so they can simply pick out the pixels that stand out too much from the surroundings and assign them a new value from nearby pixels.

Back to lurking now. I must have set a new personal record in posts/day and I'm not even shure why I got involved in this discussion.

thOMas