Re: [OM] False metering On OM-1

Subject: Re: [OM] False metering On OM-1
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 08:25:43 -0700
Hi Stylianos:

The mercury batteries have been outlawed, because of the damage to the environment.

Some alternatives:

1. You best bet would be to send in the OM-1 for a CLA. John H converts them to use a 1.5 volt silver-oxide battery. I believe that John charges $99 for the CLA, including battery conversion and new foam light seals. 2. Wein makes a zinc-air battery that replaces the mercury cells. This *works* but has a short service life. The zinc-air cells cost about $5. 3. C.R.I.S. makes an adapter that replaces the mercury cell. The adapter works well, but is expensive. I believe the cost is $29.95, plus (I think) $8 shipping. See:
http://www.criscam.com/mr9.htm
for details.
4. Some people use zinc-air hearing aid batteries, with a rubber O-ring wrapped around them to make them the right physical size.
5.  You can build your own MR-9 type adapter.  See:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/
6. There is also a discussion on the same site for a do-it-yourself conversion, which involves soldering in a diode.

I recommend option #1 as the best solution. Unless the body has been serviced recently, almost any OM-1 will need replacement back foam and mirror bumpers anyway.

HTH,

Bill Stanke

Stylianos Georgakis wrote:
Hello Zuicoholics,
Lately it is difficult to get Mallory PX625 batteries for my OM-1. So I had to use PX625A alkaline instead. Since then the meter gives me 1-2 stops overexposure readings when compared with my handheld Gossen Luna Pro SBC or my other bodies. Any suggestions? Best regards,
Stylianos Georgakis
And keep away from digital temptation