[OM] Sunsets over Auckland [was:How many shots do you take?]

Subject: [OM] Sunsets over Auckland [was:How many shots do you take?]
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 03:39:27 -0600
> I can't speak for Daniel, but I am lucky to have a job which allows
> for a kind of sabatical leave with no pay.

 That's what I'm doing -- my wife and I are on a long honeymoon, and while
being in NZ is certainly a holiday because we're not living in Canada, we
both still have jobs to pay the rent, buy food (buy film..), and save up for
the next stage of the trip.

 (strictly speaking, I'm not on leave, I had to quit my job because if I'm
not there for more than 3 months tax etc gets awkward, but they assured me
they're re-hire me when I get back, and I've been keeping in touch so they
don't forget I exist. I still have my fingers crossed for when I return,
though)

> I agree with you that on holiday there must be a good balance between
> spending time taking pictures and actually relaxing and "seeing"
> things. I sometimes feel that I have seen certain landscapes only
> through the viewfinder. Or, opposite, have taken lots of mediocre
> pictures because I did not take the photography too serious, e.g.
> being too lazy to wait for the perfect moment.

 One nice thing about being in Auckland for this amount of time is that if
I'm somewhere and spot something worth photographing without my camera
handy, I can go back later on to take shots.

 For example, the first time I was at the wharf in Onehunga, I saw an
amazing sunset, but couldn't do anything except look at it -- so when I went
back the second time, I made sure to have a camera handy, and got the
sunsets here:

http://www.danielmitchell.net/gal/Auckland/coast_to_coast

 which I think were definitely worth the return trip.

 It's strange -- sunsets always seem worth taking photos of; Calgary does
very well for them (
http://www.danielmitchell.net/gal/sunset) but, while I realise they're a bit
of a cliche, I still can't help myself..

 It'll be interesting when we leave here and start travelling around the
rest of NZ -- I'm torn between wanting to document every place we go, and
realiseing that I'm not a good enough photographer to make that interesting.
I reckon that's where the XA or equivalent comes in handy, though -- carry
it around everywhere, and if I _do_ see something, I have the camera with
me.

 -- dan