RE: [OM] Old OM lenses and E-1

Subject: RE: [OM] Old OM lenses and E-1
From: ganderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:07:08 -0700
Yes, it still looks like the ext tube.

Unfortunately, the way I read the situation is that promoting the use of Zuikos
on the E-1 is contrary to Olympus' potential success with the 4/3 system for a
couple of reasons.  First, obviously they want to sell new lenses as well as
bodies, so it's a no-brainer for them to discourage the use of older lenses.
But more importantly, use of 35mm-film designed lenses on the E-1 directly
contradicts their engineering philosophy of having lenses specifically tailored
to the sensor for much improved performance.

So I don't think we'll ever see an OM-to-E adapter from Olympus.  However, 3rd
parties are very likely to do this I would think, as they did for the Canon.
(I'm *assuming* that CH's OM-to-Canon adaptor was not mfg'd by Canon.) Sure,
I'd love to be able to attach my 35-80/2.8 Zuiko to an E-1.  I wish I could
retrofit it with the 'smart distortion correction' feature though to eliminate
this lens' only Achilles heel - barrel distortion at the short end.

> AFAIK, that was the now announced extension tube.

 I'll bet the confusion was caused because at the time of the initial photo
of the system, nobody could see the back of the extension tube -- so without
knowing that the E1 lens mount is the same as the OM lens mount, it's
difficult to think of anything other than a converter that could have an OM
mount on the front.

 -- dan