[OM] Kodak on the future of the 4/3 sensor (and lens design)

Subject: [OM] Kodak on the future of the 4/3 sensor (and lens design)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 18:02:59 -0400
Check out the following Kodak page:
<http://www.kodak.com/global/en/digital/ccd/sensorsMain.jhtml>
and, once there, click on the "New 4/3-Type Standard" in the upper right hand corner.

This leads to a 4 page PDF file that (amongst other things about the 4/3 system like sensitivity and dynamic range) discusses the probable future resolution limits of the 4/3 sensor as technology moves on. They speak of 8, 10 and 12 megapixel 4/3 sensors as well within expected future developments. They also point out (if you read figure 6 very closely) that the resolving power of a 4/3 system lens has a design point of about 4.9 microns. Amazingly, this just happens to equate to 12 megapixels on a 4/3 sensor.

So, can we already predict the pixel count on the E-2, E-3 and E-4? We can also probably confidently predict that the E-series will not go beyond 12 megapixels. By that time Olympus will be needing more revenue from a newer lens line.

ps: The 4/3 PDF file is designed as a folded page brochure. It's easier to read after printing it out, double sided if you can.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA