Re: [OM] And Another Thing

Subject: Re: [OM] And Another Thing
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 13:20:19 -0700
I think the 4:3 ratio is 'ideal' for viewing on a standard monitor, most
computer screens are in that ratio. With the advent of DVD playing in
computers, and HDTV the ratio is changing, computers are coming with
'wide-screen' monitors, and TV's are commonly 'wide-screen' or
HDTV-compatible now. This seems to be an arbitrary choice.

Note that the half-frame ratio is 3:4, it is a portrait oriented 4:3 ratio.
If Olympus had made a digital Pen FT, this is the ratio it would be. And the
6 x 4.5 is also a 4:3 ratio, although those "645" medium-format cameras come
in both portrait and landscape orientation. I like the half-frame ratio, my
Canon Dial-35 even has it in 'landscape' orientation.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...