RE: [OM] And Another Thing

Subject: RE: [OM] And Another Thing
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:35:45 +1000
> John A. Lind [mailto:jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> <snipped> Where did the 8x10 come from?  It was a common
> window pane size; one that early photographers that
> coated their own glass plates with their own emulsion
> concoctions could readily obtain at the local dry goods
> store.

True, huh? Amazing! I'd not thought of that as a possible
reason before (nor your other examples), nor really thought
about Iwert's comments about A-series papers preceeding
photography, though it should be an obvious presumption
in that case. Amongst everything else, I love this list
for information like this. Thanks, John (and others).

> With the advent of the 6x6 TLR, it was presumed from the
> outset the image would be cropped to a standard rectangular
> print size.

It's funny, because I've always had a soft-spot for square-
format photos, with this feeling that any composition
"rightness" appearing in them is against the tendency
for us to see "rightness" in that "golden mean" format
(I acknowledge this is perhaps an irrational opinion -
an "anchovies" thing for me, with probably no basis in
rational argument) It's what has had me searching for a
TLR at the right price ("right price" meaning I don't want
to pay market value for one <g>). I know I can crop, but I
dislike wastage, and like the idea of my viewfinder being
in the end-format as I haven't achieved great levels of
previsualisation yet :-) ).

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz