[OM] Scanning and printing testing

Subject: [OM] Scanning and printing testing
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:31:21 -0700 (PDT)
I've been doing some experimenting this weekend with the scanner
and printer.  Seeing if I can "mimmick" a DC camera by lowering
the quality of my scanner.

Wouldn't you know it...

I got some very smooth pictures when I did a 2:1 reduction in
Vuescan to the tiff file.  Grain disappeared, and the image
became more continous tone.  However, the enlargement/reduced
printing resolution got me on the other side.  The
stair-stepping got out of hand.

Then, I scanned a picture at maximum resolution and did a 1:2
image enlargement (quadriple file size). This proved to be quite
enlightening!  The picture then was printed at a much greater
resolution than normal.  Granted, a program such as Genuine
Fractals would have done a smashing job, here, but I found a
huge quality increase in my scanned images by doing this.

Worked up an 11x17 of one particular scan. It's heading for the
wall!

AG-need new ink cartridges-Schnozz