[OM] Re: Further comment on 4/3 sensor pixel size and lens resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: Further comment on 4/3 sensor pixel size and lens resolution
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 09:12:56 -0700
>From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Even Moore's law has a
>limit on how FAST the data gets transferred between the CCD and the write
>medium :-), let along the storage etc.

Actually, no.

Historically, Moore's Law is shown to apply to systems as well as components.
Moore's Law applies to all components in parallel, thus also applies to the
aggregate. Otherwise, we'd all be using 2 GHz microprocessor chips with 40MB
hard drives and 100 kB/S system busses. :-)

But of course, it is true that the flash cards you own today won't get faster
by plugging them into a faster camera, but who's going to want a "puny" 512 MB
Compact Flash card when cameras have take 32 MP images, and the sweet spot on
the capacity/price curve is at 6 GB? :-)

--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.