Re: [OM] What are these A1, etc, sizes?

Subject: Re: [OM] What are these A1, etc, sizes?
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 30 Jun 2003 13:02:56 -0500
>>> On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 13:53:44 -0400, Fast Primes <fast_primes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> said:

 fp> Can someone give a quick inches or centimenters dimension of the Euro
 fp> A size papers?

 fp> From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 fp> Subject: [OM] Re: And Another Thing

 >> From: Thomas Bryhn <thomas.bryhn@xxxxxxxxxx>
 >> My point was only that it puzzles me to see film manufacturers use one set
 >> of length/width ratios, paper manufacturers a second set, and now digital
 >> sensors use a third... If they REALLY
 >> wanted to do it right and minimize waste, they'd first make a sensor in the
 >> aspect ratio people use the most and then make the papers to fit.

 js> What would REALLY be nice is if everyone would adopt the European
 js> A/B/C system.  It uses a proportion that is fractal -- no matter
 js> how many times you divide it, the aspect ratio remains the same.

Here is a link to an explaination of the ISO standard paper sizes.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html

Johnie