Re: [OM] Om4-ti wind problems

Subject: Re: [OM] Om4-ti wind problems
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:13:15 -0500
I suspect you've nailed the problem -- there's several places where lubed parts
might stop moving properly at low temps, the mechanism that disengages the
sprocket shaft for rewinding being only one.  The test would be to hold your
thumb on the sprocket and wind the camera empty before loading to be sure the
sprocket had engaged after rewinding.  It is possible to "winterize" the camera
by removing all the liquid lubricants, but realize that doing so may
significantly reduce the useable life of the camera (or, more plainly said, it
may wear out faster!).

But at those temps you're lucky to have a camera that worked at all -- cold
batteries = no power, frozen film breaks like glass, there's greater likelyhood
of static causing streaks on film, etc., etc.  Note that these have nothing to
do with a particular model -- any camera will suffer from these problems at
sub-freezing temps.