Re: [OM] Sunsets over Auckland [was:How many shots do you take?]

Subject: Re: [OM] Sunsets over Auckland [was:How many shots do you take?]
From: "RickM" <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:43:57 -0700
Dan, i spent a few years traveling/backpacking in that general part of the
world, doing the overland route from oz to europe...  i would recommend
keeping out of the cities and the main tourist areas...  some unique places
i wouldn't miss: Bali, Burma is a definite, the Golden Triangle...  the
Himalayas....

In oz, say hello to marc, sydney, the opera house, then hit the outback for
a while, something else unique in the world...  alice springs is a good
place to base yourself at (i can recommend a "local" place to stay there if
you want)...  don't hit the tourist trap compound near uluru though...  i'd
pre-paid but couldn't take it and left early...  best wine in the world
(ducking here!) is in the barossa valley, just north of adelaide...  easy
two day drive from alice springs... ;)

Europe isn't cheap, but you can work in the resorts there... the jobs often
include lodging, and little pay... been there/done that/was fun.... ;)

I'm sure you're familiar with the Lonely Planet books, and they have a bbs
going too now, good place to find current info on traveling:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/index.cfm
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

RickM

>  Tour around NZ for a couple of months sleeping in the back of an old van
we
> just bought, seeing the rest of this country. From there, Australia, then
> Brunei where I have relatives, rest of SE Asia somehow, hopefully the
> trans-siberian from Beijing to Moscow. It'd be great to see bits of
Europe,
> but that'll be expensive, so we may end up just going back to stay with
> family in the UK for a bit depending on finances. Eventually, arrive on
east
> coast of Canada, drive back to Calgary and see all the other bits of
Canada