[OM] Re: Further comment on 4/3 sensor pixel size and lens resolution

Subject: [OM] Re: Further comment on 4/3 sensor pixel size and lens resolution
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 08:33:34 -0700
>From: "Richard F. Man" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Do you write just to be "right?"

It seem you are the argumentative one here.

>Second, while Moore's law applies to systems, in the context of a camera
>systems, writing each image out is the bottom neck. This is not a general
>purpose computer where the system does gazillion things from checking mouse
>movement to writing data to RAM buffer, this is a specialized system where
>an image gets "exposed" on the sensor, some processing occur and it needs
>to be written to FLASH / Hard Drive as fast as possible so the sequence can
>be repeated. Everything is a tradeoff, your 6 GB hard drive may not be as
>reliable as a 512MB FLASH card. etc.

Sorry, but Moore's Law still applies. If you don't believe that, then you can
try my Apple QuickTake (a first-generation consumer digicam, 0.3 MP) or my
Olympus D-600L (a second-generation digicam, 1.4 MP), both of which took
similar times to write to media as does my 5 MP Oly E-20.

I fully expect future digicams to have similar media write times, define as
"what the consumer will tolerate." :-)

The point isn't that I was trying to be "right," it was that the subsystems
improve performance as the main systems do, regardless of whether it's a
"computer" or not. But then, you're probably still lugging around a cell phone
the size of a shoe-box, right? :-)

But if you want to continue to argue, I'll let you be "right" if that is what
is important to you.
--
: Jan Steinman -- nature Transography(TM): <http://www.Bytesmiths.com>
: HTML email goes right in the trash! Turn off HTML if you want to email me.