Re: [OM] Olympus RD and SP

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus RD and SP
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:13:40 -0700
on 7/2/03 12:19 AM, Bernd Moeller at dsl33687a@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was bragging the other day about by zuikoholism being cured. Nevermind. I
> have just got an offer for two nice-looking Olympus viewfinders, an RD and an
> SP.

Both are really good cameras... the RD is a bit smaller.

> I have checked cameraquest.com for further details, but this otherwise
> remarkable site is not the unbiased information I am looking for. So my
> question: Is there anybody in Zuikoland who has got first hand experiences
> with these two cute little things?

I have one (or more...) of each

> I have learned that I have to be careful about dust in the viewfinder system
> and one of the cameras has got a "sticky" shutter. I guess this can be solved.
> I also may get my hands on a couple of 625 mercury batteries, but can they be
> adjusted to use LR44 silver cells?

RD's commonly have sticky shutters, at least two of the ones I have show
that problem. I haven't gotten into them yet to clean them up, but its not
exceedingly difficult, more along the lines of a CLA. The SP seems pretty
immune to problems, if it works probably everything is OK. Reportedly a good
lens, though I haven't run film through my examples (yet).

> Considering the fine cosmetics, the dust and the sticky shutter, what would be
> a reasonable price to pay?

RD's are probably less common that SP's. The *bay range on RD's is probably
$75-125 or a bit more, depending on if the shutter is good and cosmetics
perfect. The *bay range for SP's is probably $60-120, with the SPn (very
similar with some slight feature improvements) going a bit higher. There
were some SP's made in black, I've never seen an RD in black, but that
doesn't mean they weren't made that way. Black cameras seem to bring much
higher prices.

If you decide not to buy either, let me know what they want for them, I
wouldn't mind another if its reasonable... <g> but I can stop anytime I
want!
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...