Re: [OM] Olympus RD and SP

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus RD and SP
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 14:36:28 -0500
Both will likely need seals around the back, if they haven't been replaced
already.

About the only problem we've _ever_ seen with regularity on the RD is oil on
the shutter blades.  For a proper and reliable repair, the camera has to be
completely disassembled and the individual shutter blades (and everything
else!) removed and cleaned -- this was _not_
a "modular" design.  Still, it's a remarkable compact once repaired.

Some SP's developed a problem with the ring behind the shutter getting
sluggish, and the Seiko shutter sometimes gets "gummy", too, but that's rare.

In either case, I don't believe using alkaline (1.5 volt) instead of true
mercury (1.35 volt) batteries will pose a significant problem with exposures --
they're usually within one stop, and that's not so bad with a "trap needle"
machine.