[OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?

Subject: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 15:20:11 -0700
Hi Zuiks:

The August Shutterbug arrived at the office today. I was reading the "Classic Cameras" column on the Pentax SV. Here is a quote from the article:

"Finally, the Nokta was designed for infrared telephotography, complete with IR searchlight (though you could also use Toshiba Super R5 infrared flash bulbs) and an image convertor tube on a 300 mm f/3.3 lens. Specialized or what?"

Help me out here. I'm trying to wrap what's left of my brain around the concept of infrared flash. Is there visible light also, or is it all IR? When do you use IR flash? Any experience with this?

The author later mentions a 85 mm f/3.5 Quartz-Takumar for UV photography. Double huh?

Bill Stanke