Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?
From: Joshua Putnam <josh@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 21:29:19 -0700
Bill Stanke wrote:

Help me out here. I'm trying to wrap what's left of my brain around the concept of infrared flash. Is there visible light also, or is it all IR? When do you use IR flash? Any experience with this?

I have an IR head for my Sunpak 622 flash. The output is
filtered so there's almost no visible light, just a faint reddish
glow when the flash goes off. It allows photography at 50-100
feet with HIE.

IR flashbulbs work the same way, except the IR filter is a
special paint the bulbs are coated with.

A third alternative was an IR filter over your flash gun, but
that meant removing the filter to change flash bulbs.

There's good info on IR flash in Clark and Gibson's _Photography
by Infrared: Its Principles and Applications_, out of print but
available used or in good libraries.

The author later mentions a 85 mm f/3.5 Quartz-Takumar for UV photography. Double huh?

UV is used for bringing out details not visible in normal light,
and for fluorescence. I haven't done any myself, but Kodak used
to have a good book, _Infrared and Ultraviolet Photography_, that
addressed UV enough to get you started.

Normal glass lenses often block a lot of UV, thus the special
quartz lenses.

--
josh@xxxxxxxxx is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>