Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] infrared flash bulbs?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 03:49:30 -0500
At 05:20 PM 7/2/03, Bill Stanke wrote:

Help me out here. I'm trying to wrap what's left of my brain around the concept of infrared flash. Is there visible light also, or is it all IR? When do you use IR flash? Any experience with this?

It's used with IR film. It can also be used to trigger slaves on studio lights. Indeed, I have a small electronic IR flash that fits into the hot shoe. It does emit a small red glow when it goes off, but it's very red and very dim. Here's the kicker . . . optical slaves are very sensitive to not only visible light, but IR as well, and I use the small IR flash with the standard optical slaves built into my monolights. Alas, IR triggering does not work worth a hoot on-location in a church for wedding portraits, but it works extremely well in my makeshift studio at home.

You can make your own IR flash from a standard electronic flash very easily. Simply cover the flash tube cover with a piece of completely exposed and developed slide film (should appear to be completely black). These can be had easily by shooting slide film and keeping the piece(s) of leader they return with the slides. Slide film, after developing is specifically designed to be very nearly completely transparent to IR, without regard to the density of the visible light image on the slide. Why? If slides didn't allow transmission of nearly 1000f IR, they would melt and fry in a slide projector.

-- John

The author later mentions a 85 mm f/3.5 Quartz-Takumar for UV photography. Double huh?

Yes . . . although I thought only Nikon made quartz lenses for UV photography. Glass attenuates UV considerably. First I've heard about a Pentax quartz lens. Most who do UV phtography typically use prime lenses with as few/thin glass elements as possible. If that isn't good enough, there are the quartz lenses, but they cost big bucks. Quartz transmits UV much, much, much better than glass.

-- John