[OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 22:15:55 +0930
Hello!

I found this list today and already there has been a flood of interesting
messages.

We've had an OM2n since my wife used it for photography at college. But
only occasional use for quite a while. With it was a 50mm f1.8 std lens and a
75-150 Zuiko zoom.

But recently we've had a resurgence of interest and acquired over the last
few months a bellows, 35mm w/a, T32 flash and grip, lots of extension cords
for off camera flash, and a decent tripod. And having fun e.g.
figuring out flash lighting for macro work, autumn landscapes etc.

And checking the camera shops etc each week to see what interesting
gems might have "just come in".

Well one did this morning. A very nice (9/10) 300mm f4.5 with tripod collar
and original box.

Now the plan was to pick up some smaller fixed telephotos and a macro
lens or two before one such as this. These come up infrequently locally,
so don't get to actually try one very often.

So it is a tempting opportunity. I tried it briefly at the shop - very nice
to use and very sharp image. It strikes me as a superb piece.

Now I know we can use this for landscape photography. I'm not likely to
use it for action shots (well very rarely).

A couple of questions.  How is this lens regarded in its category?  If you
have one, do you use it for things other than the above?  I guess it would
be good for wildlife photos assuming a good setup (as you can see I haven't
had much experience with a lens like this so looking for guidance!).  Do
people use it for medium distance work very much? I've had interesting
results using the 150 zoom for macro photos, but I think this one would be
a bit of overkill for that.

Comments appreciated!

And the price. They want $A480 (about $US 320). I think it's reasonable
but don't have much to go on.

thanks
  Andrew & Rosemary