Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5
From: Pschings@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 09:09:21 -0400
Cc: andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
In a message dated 7/3/2003 7:57:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Welcome to the list!

> A couple of questions.  How is this lens regarded in its category?

Very highly, I would say.

> If you have one, do you use it for things other than the above?

I do have one. I don't use it that frequently, but when I need it always comes
through. Most of my shots with it have been wildlife (it's a great zoo lens),
action shots at my nephew's soccer games, and I've had quite a bit of success
with it taking candids of the kids as they are playing - you can be far enough
away that they are oblivious to your presence.

> I guess it would be good for wildlife photos assuming a good setup (as you
> can see I haven't
> had much experience with a lens like this so looking for guidance!).

Wildlife, yes. See above.

> Do people use it for medium distance work very much? I've had interesting
> results using the 150 zoom for macro photos, but I think
> this one would be a bit of overkill for that.

Never tried it for macro. I think you'd need too much extension to be practical.

Your price sounds reasonable, but not great, for a decent example. As a
reference, I paid USD220 for mine, but it's an older single-coated F. Zuiko,
and had some oil on the blades.

Paul Schings
Coventry, RI USA