[OM] Old Lewiston grade again, but almost on topic!

Subject: [OM] Old Lewiston grade again, but almost on topic!
From: Mark Marr-Lyon <markml@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2003 07:43:10 -0600
http://homepage.mac.com/markml/grade.jpg

This picture is pretty similar to the one posted earlier, but at least this picture was made with Oly gear. OM-2n, 28/2.8, I think. I'm pretty sure this was pre-21/3.5, and it doesn't really look like a 21. Kodak TMax 400, processed in D-76 diluted 1:1.

Anyway, this is just a couple of the turns along the road. The road drops about 2000 feet over 10 miles or so. The river running horizontally across the picture is the Clearwater, and the other river is the Snake. The Clearwater joins the Snake at the right side of the photo. The town on the left of the Snake is Lewiston, Idaho, and on the right is Clarkston, Washington. In the background off to the left is the entrance to Hell's Canyon, which is often cited as the deepest canyon in North America, but isn't. Still, it's an absolutely stunning place.

Here's a link to Mapquest showing the grade, aka the Old Spiral Highway. The new grade is on US 95, and although extremely impressive technologically, not nearly as much fun to drive.

http://tinyurl.com/fxoh

I'm sure this is far more than anyone wanted to know about this particular bit of the world. Also, would someone please make sure Dan hasn't collapsed? :-) (Just kidding, Dan. At least I took the mothballs out of the subject!)

Mark