Re: [OM] OM2000

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2000
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 01:29:51 +0200
Hi all,

>Cosina was the third party manufacturer of the OM2000. It was based on a
>design that was common to the Canon T60 and one Nikon (I forget which). I
>bought what appeared to be a mint condition Canon T60 and some months later
>after very light use (it wasn't my main Canon camera), the winding mechanism
>failed, causing exposed frames to overlap each other. When I heard that the
>OM2000 was based on this Cosina body, I knew I'd pass on it AND the
>subsequent Cosina (Bessa) Leica thread mount bodies as well. I'd take an
>OM1, hands down.

I have no experience with the OM-2000, but had a friend's T60 for a while.
Yes, it looks like a cheap plastic toy ;-) but it didn't failed to me --
however, it had a rather light use.

I once had to take pics with a 'real' Cosina C-2. After changing (plastic
mount) lenses, the apreture-sensing lever got out of its place, throwing
off meter readings!. Before that, I didn't know about the Cosina origin of
the T60, but when I took the C-2 it felt *so familiar* that I had no doubt
about it...

About the Bessa bodies, again no experience, but I've read that their build
quality has been improving in subsequent models: the Bessa-L being the
worst, then the Bessa-R somewhat better, the Bessa-T is more solid and the
latest Bessa-R2 seems to be very well built.

I'm pretty sure the OM-2000 is not a tough camera, by any means, but I'm
curious about its spot metering system; since it doesn't make use of the
semi-silvered mirror of the OM-2S, 4, etc, maybe it doesn't have the
"offset" on spot readings depending on the lens used -- I've suffered that
on my OM-2S and OM-4, with both bodies showing *exactly* the same offsets
:-(

Hope this helps,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>