[OM] Digi Discussions/Leica preanouncements

Subject: [OM] Digi Discussions/Leica preanouncements
From: Hughes <hi100@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 03:58:41 -0700 (PDT)
Hope I am not repeating, as I have not been following threads on this, but here
are a few
interesting clips from Leica's website which relate to general issues of
digital adaptions etc:

A digital camera or back using the existing Leica M-lenses is presently not
possible. The
M-lenses? extremely compact design results in a path of the light rays which is
unfavourable for
digital sensors. The distance between the rearmost lens element and the sensor
would be a mere
16mm (depending on the lens). The light rays would simply arrive at too much of
an angle on the
sensor, leading to considerable deterioration of the image quality.
Is the CCD Frame Transfer type? or Interline Transfer type?
Leica: It's a frame transfer type and it has been chosen because it gives
better image quality.
[TH: Like Oly E1]
will the Moire filter ON/OFF switch need to be switched to the ON postion with
high-resolution APO
lenses, and OFF for more ordinary non-APO lenses?Leica: You can use all lenses
in both off and on
- Position. The decision wether you use the moire - filter depends on the
motives. The
moire-filter should be used for a true rendition of fabrics for example.
[TH :Interesting, this sounds more like an attempt at a DSP solution rather
than a removeable
anti-alias filter that would really fix the moire/ alias noise?]
Since we decided to employ the existing LEICA R8 and R9 for this digital
solution, the sensor must
fit into the shutter opening of these cameras. Quality reasons: the further you
go to the edges of
the frame, the more angled the light rays coming from the lens arrive. A
CCD-Sensor?s special
problem: light arriving at an angle leads to image deterioration. This
increases towards the
edges. Thus, the limitation to a central area of the image frame allows the
best image quality.
Our lenses deliver a sufficiently high quality to allow the enlargement
necessary later (in
comparison to 35mm film).
All Leica R8 and R9 out on the market can be used with the Digital-Modul-R
Is it possible that at the delivery time [end of 2004] the pixels count may
increase from 10 mp to
14 mp or more?Leica: There is no possibility of this.
Do you have any plans to introduce new "telecentric" design R lenses in the
future, especially for
wide angle lenses (fixed focal lenght) ?
Leica: After our investigations this will not be necessary to achieve the best
image quality. We
will introduce new lenses, but always for analog and digital application.
1.8 frame per second. It was a priority to realize as low as possible a focal
length extension
factor with a sensor unit that fits into the shutter window. The chosen
sensor?s architecture is
the reason for a longer data-readout-time, which in turn reduces the firing
rate. We believe our
customers consider a high-quality image to be more important than a high firing
rate.
by sitcking to manual focus, you are limiting your digital market
we will implement a mechanic which allows the digital back to be taken off only
when a protective
unit is in place. [TH: auto CCD dust cover may seal in dust too! SD9 glass
apparently does]

Regards,
Tim Hughes