Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 23:26:44 +0930
Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Andrew -- Welcome to the list... what kind of single-malt do you favor? <g>

Well there's another topic. We were sampling a 12 year old Highland
Park as we wrote the message. Favourite though was the 18 yo Highland
Park that unfortunately ran out. Running close is one introduced to us
by a friend last week -- a 12 yo Scapa, not far from HP distillery but now
closed down. Also like Bowmore, esp the lone 17 yo bottle picked up in
an obscure corner of Bangkok airport a few years ago. I could go on
but won't.

>The 300/4.5 is well-regarded. It is sharp, compact, reasonably fast, and
>good handling. For landscape use, you get the nice 'telephoto compression'
>of perspective. For wildlife photos, you may find that it is a bit slow...
>most wildlife photographers seem to prefer 300/2.8 or 400/4.0 lenses which
>are much more expensive, larger and heavier. If you can work with the slower
>aperture (using high-speed film, tripod and slower shutter, etc) then the
>300/4.5 will work well.

Tripod is fine. In fact will start right here at home -- our house
overlooks treetops with plenty of colourful parrots, kookaburras, and even
the odd koala passing through.

In fact we now have the lens and will start there tomorrow.

>Sounds like you're just getting started with Zuikoholism... but we can stop
>any time!

Really ?? Might try stopping one day just to see what it feels like.

best wishes
  Andrew