Re: [OM] RE: Make up your mind was OM 2000

Subject: Re: [OM] RE: Make up your mind was OM 2000
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 14:59:11 -0400
Well, I'll weigh in, but since I've actually OWNED more than one OM-2000,
please feel free to discount my opinion in favor of those that have never
seen one :)

Actually, I believe I may be one of the few people on the list that have
owned every OM body (unless you count the M-1 separate from the OM-1, in
which case I missed the M-1, but did own an OM-1 without MD capabilities).

OK, back on topic. The OM-2000.  I actually believe the fit and finish is
fairly decent, certainly on par with the OM-10.  The feature set is
reasonable, particularly spot metering and 1/125 flash sync. I believe it's
poor reputation is misleading, at least as far as the quality. It was often
paired, though, with the lousy 35-70/3.5-4.8 Cosina lens.

Still, you'll notice I don't now own one.

Why you ask? (even if you didn't, I feel compelled to answer, primarily due
to my high level of caffeine intake today, although none through coffee).

Because it's weird.  Really weird.  What's with the shutter speed dial on
top of the body. Who came up with that? It belongs around the lens mount
where you can easily change it by feel.

Really, though, my most compelling reason for not owning one is its
incompatibility with many accessories. I'm a big winder/motor drive user.
Can't with the OM-2000.

I could go on, but you get the idea.

But then again, I don't own any OM-3 or OM-3Ti body, so what do I know (I
like the OM-1 better - gasp).  I'm also one of those silly people that uses
the OM-4T on automatic!  What REAL photographer lets the camera make
metering decisions.

Just my .05 cents, adjusted for inflation (or is it deflation).

Tom