Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 23:17:18 +0930
At 4:17 PM +0200 2003.07.04, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:
<SNIP>
> > >on your bellow, or I would get one of the Zuiko 50mm macro's. I
>> >have only the 50/3.5, but I am amazingly happy with it.
>>
>> That's actually next on the list. So must decide if it's worth
>> postponing that to get this telephoto. I'm actually getting quite
>> interesting macro results with the 50/1.8 and 35/2.8 lenses in both
>> normal and reversed positions on the bellows, but can't help but
>> wonder how much better a 50/3.5 would be.
>>

>Uhmm....ehh...uhmm...:)
>
>Short tele vs. 50/3.5 for macro. Tell you what, if you are happy with
>your macro shots as they are with the gear you have, a short tele is
>probably before the 50/3.5 on the list :) A 50/1.8 on a bellows is by
>no means a bad thing.

No, it isn't a bad thing. It's a nice lens. But earlier this evening I found in
the archives a lot of praise for the 50/3.5, apparently an exceptional
lens. Will keep waiting for a nice one to come along.

<SNIP>
> > INRIA Sophia Antipolis (near Nice) a few times (project OASIS). I
>> think you gave a talk there a couple of years ago. Small world!
>>

>Well, I remember vividly. I had a nice talk prepared, AND I had a
>nice laptop. only 3 months old. Then, on the morning where I was
>supposed to give the talk, my harddisk decided that it was time to
>give up and crash. Of course, real men do not take
>backups....ever....not even of the slides for the talk.
<SNIP>

Maybe it's the excessive sunshine of the Cote d'Azur! I once picked
up a friend at Nice airport visiting to give a talk in a panic because he had
left his slides in Paris (well, there was a festival on). He got though it
somehow.

regards
  Andrew