Re: [OM] Epson Perfection 3200 Photo on Linux

Subject: Re: [OM] Epson Perfection 3200 Photo on Linux
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 05 Jul 2003 21:36:55 -0500

 jo> Walt Wayman wrote:

 >> I'm not using Linux, but I've got the scanner.  With Microsoft XL,
 >> it worked fine when first installed two weeks ago.  Now, without
 >> any intervening event that I'm aware of, it and the computer don't
 >> seem to be on speaking terms.  I've re-installed the software, but
 >> to no avail.

 jo>  I sympathize with you. My HP 540 decided one day it di not want to
 jo> communicate with my Hp computer that I bought with it as a system. I am
 jo> not happy, and HP is no help.:(

John,

I can see where that would happen. The company that HP outsources its
scanner support to decided to close up their call center here in
Dallas and open up one in Canada where labor is cheaper. The problem
was that the "official" knowledge-base for their support wasn't all
that useful, so the support people here had setup an unofficial
knowledge-base that they got a lot of their info from. On top of that
there was just a lot of knowledge in the people that were doing the
support. Nothing against the people in Canada and India (email support
is handled from India) that are supporting it now, its just that a TON
of knowledge walked out the door when they layed off the support staff
here (including my soon-to-be-ex-wife).

Having said all that, if you will send me some more details off list
(scanner model number, OS version and service pack, driver version,
other software (Norton anti-virus?) and anything else that might be
useful) I'll ask her if she's got any tips or tricks you might try or
at least specific things for you to ask the HP scanjet support people
for.

Johnie