Re: [OM] Which lens case or pouch for the 85~250?

Subject: Re: [OM] Which lens case or pouch for the 85~250?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 20:34:35 -0300
Well thanks for your suggestions: Roger D. Key, Andrew Gullen, Rich Dodgett,
Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu and Mike.

Mike: agree on your opinion about humidity and hard cases. It should very
well apply to Uruguay but surprisingly enough fungus grew on my mostly
exposed lenses, the MC 21 and G 50. My 200 stays inside its case with some
small bags of silica gel and is alive and well.
My new zoom stays naked in the lower floor of my medium sized bag, whose
depht is barely just enough to keep in unmounted. But I will figure out a
real leather pouch for it taking into account Lama's measures. Yes the
65~116 "really shines hand held" if you're using a longuish focal lenght.

Right now I'm returning of a sunset photo expedition. I'm not very fond of
sunset photographs, but this morning I happenned to drive into Punta
Carretas. Sun was some 15 degrees over the horizon, the night haze had still
not dissipated and light reflected over the very quiet sea. Infinite degrees
of blue blended into the horizon and sky. A large cargo ship was entering
harbour some 3 or 5 km away, floating inside a shinning blue nothing. Barely
had time to mount the 200+2XA+TamronPol.+HoyaSky1A and handheld full open at
1/500 (tripod stayed at home, smart me). Turned around to mount the zoom
since I wanted to include the Cerro de Montevideo in the photograph. But the
ship had entered harbour and Sun was 20 degrees over horizon... lost
composition. I observed where was I standing. Looking west, sunset point and
the Cerro were aligned with a fishermen quay 500 meters away, and Punta
Carretas. I knew this since I was a child. This Sunday at ten to eighteen
some fishermen were looking at an enormous orange Sun setting behind the
Cerro, and I was behind them with the zoom and 2XA tripod mounted, @ about
500mm effective focal lenght. No more than 4 or 5 frames of Provia100F, f8
to f16 (16-32). Let the camera decide shutter speed since Sun and
sillouettes were main interest, and Sun was rapidly sinking. And my daughter
was bored and hungry.
No filters, let's see how flare is controlled. I love some flares like the
21/3.5 very thin red flare, but don't expect too much of a kilogram of
glass, as Zuiko as it may be.
Good results with the 200/4 and 65~116: caught at 1/1000 a couple of bees
fighting their place into a small winter flower. Handheld, one shot only.
But what if it was another subject and a 50 or 80 mm needed. "Where's that
tripod collar ???" I hear me shouting.

Thanks again,

Fernando