Re: [OM] More shots; not-tope-14, flowers, etc

Subject: Re: [OM] More shots; not-tope-14, flowers, etc
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:39:25 -0700
I enjoyed the pics a lot, Dan. I think 'flower_2' has a nice 3-D effect too. A bit more DOF would make it even more 3-D, I bet. 'domain>flower_1' is a Nastursum. Edible, pretty and tasty in salads. 'onehunga_sunset_1' still knocks me out!

Jeffrey Keller wrote:

The pictures are great but I don't agree that flash is "the way to go". I think a good natural light is better than flash but all too often the light isn't right and you have to use a flash. Of course everyone's taste is different. I find that the bright white highlights often created by a flash detract from the picture ... they shout flash. I do agree that if you are going to be taking macro pictures you want to have a flash handy.

I agree. I don't much like the blown-out highlights of the frens with flash.

flower_7 with the light shining through the petals is very nice. If the window in the background could be removed it would be fantastic.

Agree again. Without the distracting background, it's fabulous.

wintergarden/plant_1.jpg is a Gynura aurantiaca aka Purple Passion Plant. They used to be popular house plants in California but they've almost dissappeared. I saw some in a store recently so I guess they haven't been banned.

Just went out of fashion, I think. I used to have them. Popular name around here was 'Coleus' Fairly fussy about where they will thrive and need care.

Moose