Re: [OM] Lenses with sticky apertures

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses with sticky apertures
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 16:22:30 -0700
I can't imagine it would be economical to spend anything on repair of that lens, unless it has sentimental value. There are so many of the same or similar lenses available cheap and a lot of newer design.

A Tokina RMC 80-200/4.5 with close focus was the boon companion to a 35-70/3.6 for me for many years. I still have it, in EX+ condition and with snappy aperture and original caps. If you or anyone else wants it, I'd put a price of US$25 on my sentiment. Or you could go with the Tokina 70-210/4-5.6 with a newer SD glass design, smaller, but no lighter, for $35. The Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5 isn't much bigger and heavier, and is a great lens, but mine's not for sale! The Tamron 35-210/3.-4.2 is an adaptall design, so much more easily available. A good lens, but at least one I've seen had separation in a rear element, so look out for that, and it is noticeably heavier than the AT-X.

Moose

clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<snip> Try to find someone experienced with that particular lens to get an
estimate -- that can make all the difference.

Philip Pemberton wrote:

Hi,
 I've just pulled my Tokina 1:4.5 80-200mm lens out of my camera bag and it
appears that it's developed a rather annoying fault <snip>
 Is there any way to get the aperture un-stuck? Does anyone (preferably in
the UK) repair these lenses? Is there a trick that works to cure this
problem?