Re: My XA review: was Re: [OM] oly point and shoot

Subject: Re: My XA review: was Re: [OM] oly point and shoot
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 23:46:31 -0700
Lama-Jim L'Hommedieu wrote:

Here's a review in 12 "frames" of the XA.  I have shot one roll (24 exp
actually) with mine (bought last month).

frame # 1.  I shot EI 100 film and got "okay" snapshots in full sunlight.  Good
enough web pictures of my cat drinking from a puddle
or whatever.  Almost, sorta, barely good enough for 4x6 prints.

Something is not right with your XA. Perhaps the rangefinder is out of adjustment? I've shown XA slides mixed in with 35-70/3.6 shots and found them equally sharp. I've even had viewers remark on the special sharpness of a couple of them.

frame # 2.  Almost all shots in open shade showed camera movement.  Advice on
the net is to always use EI 400 film.  The trigger is
not mechanical.  Some folks on the web say they've grown accustomed to it.

The shutter release is 'different', but I find it is actually easier to take slow speed pics because no movement is required, just pressure. One does have to learn not to jerk the camera. The safest way is to put thumb underneath and forefinger on top and just squeeze, so the potential movement of the finger is counterbalanced. Open shade, iso 100 is f5.6 @ 1/60 or f4 @ 1/125; movement shouldn't be a problem. I've handheld 1/30 with good results with an XA. I actually mostly used 200 film and lied to the flash that it was 400. That way, faces in front of dark/far away backgrounds don't blow out so easily.

I can see you hate it and I'm not trying to talk you into loving it. I just wanted to point out that you obviously have one with something wrong with it.

Moose