Re: [OM] oly point and shoot

Subject: Re: [OM] oly point and shoot
From: "Daniel Mitchell" <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 13:53:32 -0600
> Well, I was just going on remembered impressions, as I don't have an
> Epic. Based on the dimensions you give, the cubic volume of the XA is
> 263 cc and the Epic is 243 cc, so I was perhaps technically correct by
> accident. (Of course neither is a cube, so true volumes are smaller.)

 I'd guess the epic is probably marginally more pocketable, because it's got
smoother corners so it'll slip into a pocket that bit more easily than the
XA. Without trying them both I can't be sure, though.

> However, it's a bit of an apples and oranges thing, as the Epic has
> flash built in. The XA with flash is significantly larger. So lets
> call it a tie for non-flash use, but the Epic wins indoors.

 Definitely for size; as far as guide numbers, A11 is 11, 150 flashes off a
AA battery; Epic is, uh, something else -- looks like it'll go further, not
sure how many flashes you get. Weight (without battery or flash); epic 119g,
XA 225g. (wow, that's a much bigger difference than I'd expected).

 One thing I'd forgotten about the Epic but just noticed when poking around
is that it has a spot meter mode, so you actually have a bit of exposure
control after all. It's still not going to let you control DOF, but it
should make getting the light right in awkward conditions that bit easier.

 -- dan