Re: [OM] WTT: My long one for your short one

Subject: Re: [OM] WTT: My long one for your short one
From: "RickM" <zuiko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 07:52:08 -0700
Bill,

Mostly your emails are fine for me... that particular message came through
fine, but did have some garbage characters at the end of it...

You could always contact aol's support, explain the problem, and see what
they suggest...  i don't imagine it would be the first time they've come
across it...

Others on the list have more experience in this area than i do, but if aol
allows you to access their mail servers directly, you could try using an
external email client (such as outlook express which comes with internet
explorer if you're using windoze)...

Then, log onto the net using aol, minimize aol, and launch the separate
email client (eg outlook express)...  you set up your email account and, in
the server settings, you would put in the names of aol's email servers...

For example my settings in outlook express for this email address are:
Email server: POP3
Incoming Mail [POP3]: pop.mindspring.com
Outgoing Mail [SMTP]: mail.mindspring.com

Once that is set up you wouldn't use aol mail, and you can specify all email
as text...

If aol allows this they probably have an faq on their site with their server
names...  since your mail is still going through their servers though, it
might still mess them up...

Don't know if this helps..

RickM

> I am using AOL mail on the Internet to avoid sending HTML.  This process
is, to say the least, an absolute pain in the butt, however one I'm willing
to do to avoid getting the posts about HTML.  I have three questions. Is
anyone else getting the garbled messages as illustrated above? Can anyone
explain why Gary and perhaps others are recieving it in this form?  Other
than changing ISPs is there anything I can do on my end or Gary on his end
to avoid getting stuff garbled.  Thanks in advance, Bill Barber