Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 300mm f4.5
From: Andrew L Wendelborn <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:41:17 +0930

This is just to say thanks for the helpful advice last week about
this lens. An excellent introduction to the list!

The lens is good, and it's staying.

Nice results from the first roll of Velvia, trying some different
situations: some landscape shots in the Adelaide hills, views over the coast,
etc. It's good for getting in close to interesting details on buildings.
Rosemary tried some "candid" shots on a riverbank. Even put it on the
bellows for a couple of shots (worked well, but won't make a habit of it,
found flash extension cords useful in this situation!).

I used auto metering for most shots, with some minor (-1/3, -2/3) compensation
occasionally. Camera is a 2n, which I usually use with manual metering and
get quite good exposure and colour depth. But many of these auto shots were
a touch washed out, even with Velvia. So I'm now running a film through using
different lenses and lighting situations, and bracketing all the shots
+1 and -1 to figure whether or not it's the meter playing up, or if I just have
to train my brain to better match the 2n's view of the world!

A couple of days ago someone posted a link to The Olympus Hardware Resource
Page, http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/. I found there a troubleshooting
guide for the 2n, which explains very well how the electronic metering works.
Especially useful as I was trying also to figure out how OTF flash works.

Thanks again!

Andrew