[OM] OT Lei*a designed for digital

Subject: [OM] OT Lei*a designed for digital
From: Nick Buchner <buchner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:24:28 +1000
> Incidentally, I noted the comments Olympus made on the suitability of
> the OM optics for digital cameras and my primary reaction was
> "Baloney!".

I'd tend to agree, having seen a closely guarded prototype camera behind
closed doors on the Olympus booth at the PMA show about 5 years ago. It was
a scanning digital camera, designed for studio catalogue shots and other
non-moving subjects. It was an OM mount, with a Zuiko 90mm/f2 fitted - the
back end (basically a square grey box) was apparently based on the guts of
the Olympus ES-10 slide/neg scanner. Once we spotted it, we were
not-so-politely asked to leave the room and no questions were answered!

Now, the product was never brought to market, but I always wondered why even
start to develop something using OM-mount lenses if they weren't up to the
task???

Nick Buchner
Sydney, Australia