Re: [OM] ( OM ) network traffic takes its toll

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) network traffic takes its toll
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 23:31:48 -0700
Yes, I lost a bid to the same problem a while ago. It is, of course possible to set a longer time before the auction closes for the snipe. 15-20 seconds doesn't really give anybody working by hand time to see the bid and bid higher, especially when traffic is high. Of course, you might not have won anyway, if the other bidder's max was higher, but $26 was all tha was needed to win. We never know what that other guy's limit was for sure.

The good news is that I just won an auction for the same item at the same price!

Moose

Brian Swale wrote:

Hi,

Well, I had high hopes for a Fang with a 28mm Zuiko sitting at $26, and since I had to leave the house for a while, set a 10 sec. snipe. I came home again before auction end, so I was able to watch the action. Would you know it; screen refreshes were taking 25 seconds, and my snipe missed through delays caused by high network traffic volume. Final price was 26.