[OM] An intro and re: train hazards

Subject: [OM] An intro and re: train hazards
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:00:12 -0400
I just wanted to introduce myself; been lurking for a while and have even
made a few transactions with Tom, who was kind enough to treat me like he
knew me right off the bat. I am in the process of divesting myself of a nice
Nikon N70 and a couple of lenses and going back to my OM-1. A relatively
recent purchase of a Mamiya 645 reminded me that it's a lot more fun to make
photos than it is to take them, if you'll forgive the arty way of putting
it. That darned Nikon was annoyingly difficult to use manually and while it
got me terrific pictures I never much liked using it. And for those family
shots with my three-year old flying around where auto focus is a boon, I
have a little Rollei point and shoot that does just fine. So I overhauled my
near-perfect, always-been-mine OM-1 and started accumulating additional
lenses and bits. I have found this list to be a terrific resource! I also
recognize a name or two from a couple of other lists -- digital B&W, among
others. Small world indeed. Thank you all in advance for the great info.

I also felt compelled to join in the train thread -- my dad's a terrific
train photographer (a foamer, as he is called in the train circles...) who
has had stuff in the various mags and a few coffee table books and I've
accompanied him off and on since I was about 5 years old. And one of the
things that sometimes slips through the cracks is that beyond being
dangerous you can ruin a good thing for the next guy by getting too close or
by not appearing to be careful enough. The railroad employees will generally
leave you alone if you mind yourself, but if you're close enough to get
their attention in a bad way, they'll probably alert the bulls. Enough of
that and they'll crack down on what might be a really good spot. In recent
years, at least in the northeast US, they've really started cracking down on
railroad photographers. Many a great spot is now off-limits, so it
definitely pays to keep a low profile.

Cheers,
Matthew Born