Re: [OM] An intro and re: train hazards

Subject: Re: [OM] An intro and re: train hazards
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 11 Jul 2003 07:31:18 -0500
>>> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:00:12 -0400, Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>> said:

 mb> I just wanted to introduce myself; been lurking for a while and have even
 mb> made a few transactions with Tom, who was kind enough to treat me like he
 mb> knew me right off the bat.

Welcome!

 mb> I also felt compelled to join in the train thread --

 mb> The railroad employees will generally leave you alone if you mind
 mb> yourself, but if you're close enough to get their attention in a
 mb> bad way, they'll probably alert the bulls. Enough of that and
 mb> they'll crack down on what might be a really good spot. In recent
 mb> years, at least in the northeast US, they've really started
 mb> cracking down on railroad photographers. Many a great spot is now
 mb> off-limits, so it definitely pays to keep a low profile.

Times have changed, it's more than your safety they're worried about
now. With all of the terorist alerts in the shipping world, the first
thought when railroad emmployees see someone photographing trains is
that the photographer is making plans for some sort of attack. I read
an article in a recent issue of Trains (or some other train magazine,
I can't remember) about a guy that was out shooting trains and a train
crew reported him and his license plate number and the police showed
up at his house before he even got home.

Johnie