[OM] Flying Legends, was Weekend at Bernnie's

Subject: [OM] Flying Legends, was Weekend at Bernnie's
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2003 06:58:55 +0100
Thanks Ken

I know what you mean about professional and assigned aircrews, but you would have thought that the TDY chaps would have wanted to do their most professional job. They must have already got jobs outside the Service.

I have got jaded with airshows, and my work is flying so why watch more? This is especially true since I would like to be doing what the pilots at the airshows are doing ;-). However, Gary Edwards is here for the Flying Legends show at Duxford so I bought a ticket to visit the show with him and his friend.

I met Gary yesterday afternoon when he made it to RAF Wyton to look at the aircraft and he came for a beer in the Officers' Mess. His friend Don, an ex-Chinook pilot, knows huge amounts of stuff about Mustangs (among others) and managed to talk with one of my colleagues who will be on duty at Duxford in the tower today and tomorrow. I had just been flying with a student and had encountered a lovely Mustang at about 3,000 feet to the east of Wyton (north of Duxford by about 14 nautical miles).

In my brief encounter with Gary yesterday, he has confirmed my understanding of him as jolly nice bloke; today is going to be a good day: aircraft, Zuikos and then a barbeque this evening at our place to tell ourselves how good our photos will be!

Chris