[OM] [OT] IS-3 overloaded by a B-300?

Subject: [OM] [OT] IS-3 overloaded by a B-300?
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:32:21 -0500
Anyone experience any problems using a B-300 1.7X converter on an IS-3? Are there any "tricks" to make sure that the extra mass at the end of the lens barrel doesn't damage the mechanisms? I recently acquired a B-300, and find that my IS-3 'complains' when it unparks the lens tube at power on, and when I zoom out to 180mm. There are no problems during autofocus operation, but again the motors seem strained when retracting the lens barrel at power off. Also, there seems to be a little play in the lens barrel, most noticeable at full extension. I've had to have at least one of the small plastic internal barrel supports/guides/whatever replaced when I first got the IS-3 (and was told by the local repair shop that he stocks the part because it breaks a lot). Just wondering if I'm in line for more broken parts in this area, or if there is a technique for minimizing this problem, if it's real. I don't like the idea of attaching the B-300 after zooming the lens out, but maybe that would help???

Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated - I like the IS-3/G-40 combination when photographing family get togethers, etc. and want to keep it healthy!

Curt Hedman