Re: [OM] Fireworks results

Subject: Re: [OM] Fireworks results
From: Johnie Stafford <jms@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Jul 2003 04:19:36 -0500
>>> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:24:29 -0600, Daniel Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
>>> said:

 >> (Jan & Skip & all other PhotoShop users: How would you make the
 >> fireworks in a second layer show without allowing the black
 >> sections to block out the first layer?  There's something other
 >> than just the Opacity control involved, right?  A mask?)

 dm>  In the GIMP, the second layer would be set to 'lighten only' or
 dm> 'addition' -- presumably the same sort of thing is available in
 dm> Photoshop. There might be weird effects if there's a firework in
 dm> the same place in both layers, but otherwise it'll do what you
 dm> want.

Thanks for the tip in The GIMP, that is probably where I would do any
manipulation. I'm trying really hard to get rid of my Windows
dependancies. If I can ever get a scanner that works under Linux and
then get my brain around either The GIMP or CinePaint (a.k.a FilmGIMP)
I think I can get rid of Windows all together.

I really want to play with CinePaint. It is really a tool for
manipulating individual frames of movies (they've got a long list of
popular films that have used it for some part of the production). But
it also works well for still photography as well. Its claim to fame is
32 bit color per channel (128 bit RGBA). Therefore your color
resolution of your images is far higher than can be displayed on a
monitor. I'm not sure I could ever afford either the scanner or the
printer that would make it worthwhile, but they're developing some
awesome tools inside this thing.

Johnie