Re: [OM] [OT] IS-3 overloaded by a B-300?

Subject: Re: [OM] [OT] IS-3 overloaded by a B-300?
From: clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:51:21 -0500
In short, I've never noticed a problem specifically related to the additional
weight added to the barrels of the IS cameras when the converters are added.
The plastic "rollers" in the IS-1 and IS-2 are small and thin enough that they
sometimes wear out or are "dimpled" by impact, but that's seldom a problem on
the IS-3.  In most cases, compensation for "slack" in the lens is provided
during programming -- unless you physically wiggle the lens barrel before
taking each shot, it should work OK.  Shoot, it should be OK even if you _do_
wiggle the lens before each shot!

Of course that's not to say that you should try to use it to jack up your car
-- the critical thing would be the gears themselves, though.  And impact can
damage the rollers -- and the barrels, and whatnot.  Best not drop it, OK?

Early on we saw lots of IS-3's that were over-lubed and got grease into the
zoom motors (zoom was slow one way but not the other -- wierd!) but that seems
to have abated.  The vast majority of problems we've seen in the last few years
are due to the zoom or AF motors wearing out.  The spring wire they used for
the brush contacts in these motors are too weak and the contact eventually
slips onto the wrong side -- instant failure.  We've learned that when you
replace one, you replace both.