Re: [OM] Put the blame where it is..

Subject: Re: [OM] Put the blame where it is..
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 00:11:36 -0500
At 03:09 PM 7/15/03, Moose wrote:
OM was (and still is, for me) a great system with some real advantages over the others of similar times. But to suggest that the other major players only made junk is silly.

I agree completely. The F2 and F3[HP] are built like tanks and are workhorses in their own right. They're also very heavy by comparison to the OM system. The F3 has a non-standard wacko shot shoe setup. IMO, they're not quite as agile as a result, but they will put up with an enormous amount of abuse and continue shooting. Excellent for "field use" when holding it by hand isn't required for hours on end.

The FM2n and FE2 are solid workhorses, a little lighter in weight than the F2/F3 which makes them more agile. The FE2 is one of the solid wedding workhorses as it offers TTL flash control through an ISO hot shoe and its lighter weight makes it easier to manage holding it for hours on end without fatigue. The FM2n is not far behind it although flash must be controlled by the flash, not the camera metering. Both X-sync to 1/250th which makes fill outdoors easier. Indoors, I strongly recommend longer shutter speed, at least 1/60th, to pick up background ambient lighting. What I don't like about them is the viewfinder (dimmer and harder for me to see the entire frame through) and the film winder shutter lock . . . which tends to poke me in the eye. They do have a double exposure switch which I wish the OM system had. The upper end of the Nikk*r lenses are excellent, just as the Zuiko's are. They're bigger and heavier by comparison, and each lens type in both lineups has its own character. Work within that to exploit the positive nature of each and either line will do very, very well.

IMHO the wedding candid workhorse within the OM system is the OM-2S. If the OM-2n had a built-in hot shoe instead of the fragile Shoe 4, it would win this acclaim. The OM-2S has a built-in hot shoe, a shutter release that's more robust than the OM-4[T] to frequent use of a camera bracket cable release, and it has TTL flash control. For wedding use, all the fancy spot metering of the OM-4[T] is entirely unnecessary. The Zonies would be half-way through roll #1 while I'm on roll #6. With current portraiture films that have very wide latitude, and a good professional lab to make the prints, the center-weighted metering is more than accurate enough. The flash-ready LED is a non-issue if a set of batteries is not used for more than two weddings . . . and I change them every other wedding whether they "need it" or not. It's factored in along with film as part of the costs; one set costs *less* than a roll of 36-exp Portra 160NC, and two weddings burn about 25 rolls. The one hazard is accidentally switching it into Program mode which isn't disastrous, but may end up with undesired aperture settings and depth of field.

The OM-2n would win if its hot shoe were built-in, and I do sometimes use one anyway . . . in flash bracket with flash on remote cord. Don't even have to remember to turn the OM-2n on. If a TTL flash is used and turned on with the flash ready illuminated, the OM-2n will still function perfectly well (its metering turns on temporarily during the exposure). I've tested this just to make certain it works. Just have to watch stress on the Shoe 4 from the remote cord, and set it up properly in the bracket so it isn't damaged. Done right, it's less stress than putting a flash in the shoe.

The workhorse with studio lights is the OM-1n. Leave the thing off entirely, set shutter to 1/60th, aperture to flash meter reading, plug in the PC cord, and rock 'n roll. Put a Shoe 4 on and use a hot shoe to PC adapter if accidentally switching the sync to FP is a worry.

None of the OM bodies are "perfect" for wedding or event shooting. They each have their weaknesses which must be monitored and disciplined habits developed to do it continuously . . . just like ensuring film is loaded properly and advancing, and ensuring its rewound before opening a back. OTOH, none of the Nik*n bodies are perfect either.

The BEST lens I've found yet for wedding/event work is the Tamron 35-105 f/2.8 Adaptall 2. For a non-OEM lens, it's very robust, has excellent optics (much better than its bigger/heavier successor, the Tamron 28-105/2.8, which isn't all that great optically), and it offers half-stop aperture detents. IMO, a fast zoom with this focal length range is one of the holes in the Zuiko lens line. Although the 35-80 f/2.8 comes close, and is a stellar lens optically, it falls short at only reaching out to 80mm. That extra 25mm comes in very handy. The 35-105mm/3.5~4.5 is superb for outdoor weddings, indoors in well-lit areas for the portraiture, and has the close-up ring for hand/ring shots (which I use it for). At receptions though, the dim viewfinder is a killer that makes focusing after the lights are turned down very difficult. With its variable aperture, TTL flash works best.

-- John