RE: [OM] Adaptall etc?

Subject: RE: [OM] Adaptall etc?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:36:08 -0500
The OM system Adaptall 2 OM adapter works well. If you have an OM-4[T] (uncertain about OM-3[ti]), ensure you get the newer "OL" Adaptall 2 adapter. The old one can shear off the small reset pin on the OM-4 lens mount with one of its recessed flange screw heads. The newer one has the screw heads repositioned. No difference as far as lens itself, just the version of OM Adaptall 2 adapter you put on the lens. The older adapter is fine with an OM-1[n], OM-2[n] and OM-2S . . . they don't have a reset pin on the lens mounting flange. BTW, this is something to be careful about with older non-OEM lenses too. Olympus' OM Zuiko lenses are fine, regardless of when they were made.

Having purchased two Tamron Adaptall 2 lenses recently, I'm not certain changing Adaptall 2 adapters is something I'd want to do that frequently. It's not nearly as easy as changing lenses on the camera body. Perhaps it's because I haven't learned the tricks for doing it well yet. My problem is getting the tab lined up on the lens aperture ring. Always takes a bit of fiddling around to get it on. If it's somewhat infrequent, and not something you would be doing "in the field," but on the dining room table preparing equipment for a shoot, when you can spend the time to ensure it's mounted correctly, you should be OK.

Also uncertain I'd want to store the lens without an Adaptall 2 on the back (whether it's OM or some other system). The rear element hangs out considerably from behind the lens. First thing I noticed when I bought the first Tamron.