Re: [OM] Adaptall etc?

Subject: Re: [OM] Adaptall etc?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 12:41:08 -0700
Tokina never did interchangeable mounts and the Tamron Adaptall 2 was the only really successful system and is, I believe, the only still current system. It really is a good system, with lots of good to excellent lenses available.

The one drawback I've run into, when compared to dedicated Tokinas, is that the Tamron SP zooms are often bigger and heavier than the equivalent Tokina AT-Xs. I don't know if this is a result of the interchangable mount design, but it is really significant to me in some cases. For example, the Tamron SP 35-210/3.5-4.2 is 130x74mm and weighs 870g, while the Tokina AT-X is 124x70mm and 680g. The Tokina AT-X 80-200/2.8 is only a tiny bit smaller than the Tamron SP, but the Tamron weighs 1,510g with mount, hood and caps, 30% more than the 1,160g of the Tokina. The tutorial on interchangeable mount systems is here <http://medfmt.8k.com/third/mounts.html>.

Moose

Douglas Tourtelot wrote:

Sorry to ask what must be a pretty inane question; even done some web
research but I am still confused as to "what is what."

How do I know without looking (Ie, buying off oboy or from an on-line
retailer) which older Tameron, Tokina, and etc. lenses will accept an OM
mount.  I have found some of both listed as mounting on other cameras
(Pentax, Nikon, Canon) that were good buys but I didn't want to get stuck
with a lens that didn't have an adapting mount and an available OM adapter
from somewhere else.  Anyone give me a quick tutorial?